Call FREE Request Call Back
Been Let Down?

Housing Disrepair Claims

Housing law states that landlords are required to let properties which are not in a state of disrepair throughout the entire length of the tenancy. If your social housing or council property is in a state of disrepair and your landlord has failed to maintain it we're here to help.


reviews on
Company Logo
workman fixing ceiling

Housing Disrepair Compensation Claims

Do you live in rented property? If it’s not being properly maintained by your landlord it could be time to speak to our expert housing solicitors.

As a tenant, you have a legal right to live in a home that is safe and free from any issues of disrepair that could cause you or your family harm.

The housing law applies if you:

  • Rent privately
  • Rent from a housing association
  • Rent from a local council/authority

The majority of landlords – whether they be private, council/local authorities or housing associations – are responsible and ensure that their properties are secure, safe and free from disrepair. However, claims against landlords can be made when the landlords are not as responsible, which results in their tenants living in conditions that are dangerous.

If you feel you are living in conditions of disrepair and have already raised the issues with your landlord, you should expect those to be resolved within a reasonable time of you making your complaint. If the landlord has not fixed the problem, you can take legal action in the form of a housing disrepair claim.

If you live in social housing or are a council tenant and your home is in a state of disrepair, our expert housing solicitors will be able to support you in making a claim to get your home returned to a habitable condition. You may also be entitled to some financial compensation if you have suffered as a result of the housing issues you have encountered.

Call Been Let Down today and speak to a member of our specialist housing disrepair team.

What is housing disrepair?

Your home is in a state of disrepair if your landlord has failed to maintain the structure and exterior of the property. Their failure to do so can result in water damage, a defective boiler or structural problems, to name just three examples. Other kinds of housing disrepair include:

  • Unstable building
  • Damp / mould issues
  • Poor ventilation
  • No hot water / heating
  • Drainage and sanitation issues
  • Roof leaks
  • Electrical hazards
  • Blown (misty) double glazed units

What are some of the effects of housing disrepair?

The above are just a few of the common issues that can arise from the actions of irresponsible landlords. Such negligent damage to property can have a negative impact on your health and cause damage to your personal possessions, which could result in financial loss as well as having the potential to affect your mental wellbeing.

If you have experienced any of these problems and your landlord has failed to resolve the situation within a reasonable time since you reported the issues, you are entitled to make a housing disrepair claim.

Call Been Let Down today and speak to a member of our specialist housing disrepair team.

Making a housing disrepair claim against your landlord

If you have not already done so, the first step you need to take is to complain to your landlord. If they fail to repair your home or simply ignore the issues you have raised, you then need to contact our specialist housing solicitors.

When you get in touch with Been Let Down, our initial consultation is free. Our team of expert housing lawyers will listen to you to assess your current situation and advise on whether there is a strong case for legal action. At this stage, it is important that we can gather as much information as possible about your potential claim.

If you have taken a photograph of the state of disrepair, this would be useful supporting evidence and we would ask you to share them with us. To make communication easy, you can send photos to our team of housing disrepair solicitors via WhatsApp.

How much can I expect to receive in housing repair damages?

When making a claim against a landlord with Been Let Down, it is important to remember that the primary role of our housing law team is to ensure that the home you live in is repaired as soon as possible. Your health and wellbeing is our main concern.

If our housing lawyers believe that you are entitled to financial compensation, it will be because the problems you have experienced have not been resolved for a considerable amount of time and have resulted in you and members of your family suffering.

All disrepair claims by tenants are unique, so there is not an amount we can state as a guide to the level of compensation you could receive. Factors such as the severity of the problem, the number of rooms impacted by the disrepair, the impact on your health and any damage to your personal belongings will all be taken into account.

No Win No Fee solicitors

On investigating, our housing disrepair solicitors will let you know if you have an eligible claim. If we do, we will proceed on a ‘No Win No Fee’ basis. This is known as a Conditional Fee Agreement, which means you are financially protected because, if we do not win your case, there is no payment to be made. It also provides complete clarity for payment that all parties understand and there are no hidden charges.

Here to help you

Our highly experienced housing disrepair solicitors have helped hundreds of tenants with claims against landlords. They will be with you every step of the way and work hard to ensure your home is repaired to the standard you deserve and, if justifiable, fight for compensation.

Get in touch today and find out how we can help with your case for housing disrepair compensation.

Please call us on 0800 234 3234 or contact us and a member of our legal team will call you back.

Make a claim

Make an online claim now.

Make a claim
Contact us today

"*" indicates required fields


Bond Turner Tracking

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.