Care Home Negligence Compensation Claims
If a loved one has suffered an injury or illness in a care home, you may be able to make a care home negligence claim.
Making A Claim Against A Care Home
When you, a family member or friend enters a care home or hospice you expect a professional standard of care. It can come as something of a shock when the care provided within the home falls below the standard you would expect and is perhaps dangerous or, even worse, life-threatening.
If a loved one has been injured or suffered from care home negligence, the team at Been Let Down can help to make it right.
Unfortunately, there are occasions when the care administered to residents in homes is unacceptable. This can often result in significant distress, pain and injury for the resident.
Making negligence claims against care homes can not only help towards paying for private medical treatment and covering the cost of any injuries sustained, but it can also help to improve care standards in the home. Your claim may be able to highlight important safety issues or prompt changes that are needed to improve standards of care and may stop someone else from suffering in a similar way.
Let our care home negligence solicitors help
If you feel that you have a possible claim against a care home, get in touch with us as soon as possible. We will listen carefully, take full details of what occurred and confirm if you have a potential case for care home negligence.
What are common care home negligence complaints?
Older and vulnerable people are very reliant on those around them and, although it shouldn’t be the case, the level of care received in homes throughout the UK does vary considerably. Unfortunately, care home negligence of any form can have a serious effect on the health of those affected.
It’s important to remember that many people are cared for extremely well in homes and hospices and, that wherever possible, you should arrange a visit to the business before you agree to move your loved one in. You can also log any concerns with the management team.
If you or a loved one has had to contend with any of the following complaints, you could be entitled to compensation. Please don’t worry if your experience isn’t listed below, we may still be able to help you.
- Pressure sores— These can be incredibly painful and difficult to treat. Once healed they can leave unsightly scarring and weaker skin, that may be vulnerable to recurrence. Carers should carry out frequent checks to look for areas where sores might develop if patients spend a long period of time in bed. There should also be rounding measures in place and aids, such as air mattresses or cushions, made available to particularly vulnerable residents. If sores are not checked or treated appropriately once identified infection can set in, which can worsen the condition. Bed sores and ulcers should not occur if resident care is to the required standard.
- Prescription errors– Prescribing the wrong dose or drug can have a major impact, especially for individuals whose health may already be compromised. In addition, administering pharmaceuticals late or at the wrong time of day can put a patient’s health and wellbeing at serious risk.
- Injuries from falls— Incorrect handling or not giving sufficient assistance to get in and out of beds or baths can result in serious injury to a care home resident. As older and vulnerable people are at a higher risk of falling the correct mobility aids and equipment should be used. Staff should be trained properly to lift residents safely to avoid injuries. We can handle claims following falls related to any of these circumstances.
Who can make negligence claims against care homes?
Everyone is entitled to make a claim against a care home if they’ve been harmed by something done, or not done, while in a care or nursing home. If you or a loved one has received substandard care resulting in injury, you may be able to make a care home negligence claim.
No matter what your circumstances might be or what you’ve been through, talk to our friendly team when you’re ready. You’ll receive impartial advice, and we’ll help you explore all the options available to you. As soon as we’ve talked you through the process, we’ll leave you to make the decision in your own time as to whether or not you’d like to go ahead. Please note that there are time limits involved in bringing a claim, which will be discussed on a case by case basis.
What sort of care home negligence claims are successful?
If a claim is made due to substandard care, which has caused injury and loss and this can be substantiated, there is a strong likelihood of achieving compensation. We’ve successfully fought claims for:
- The lack of provision of correct equipment, care, or handling
- Not providing walking aids, wheelchairs, bed frames, or adequate assistance
- Not using the correct techniques to move or lift patients
- Incorrect prescriptions or administration of medication
How can care home negligence compensation help?
Once compensation is received, it can help the care home resident in a number of important ways:
- Private medical treatment
- Alternative care provision, perhaps even at home
- Help with domestic requirements, such as housework or assisted meal times
- Help with personal care
- Modifications to the home or assistive equipment to aid your daily living
- Replacing any financial losses
If you or a loved one has suffered due to poor treatment or handling in a care home, then get in touch with our highly skilled and knowledgeable legal team.
Why trust Been Let Down with your care home negligence claims?
Our experts are on hand to help you get the compensation you deserve. If you’re searching for advice about care home negligence, here’s why you should come to Been Let Down:
- Authorised and regulated legal practice
We are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). The SRA set the professional standards that solicitors need to adhere to in England and Wales.
- Experienced solicitors
We have specialist knowledge gained across a wide spectrum of care home negligence claims.
- High success rates
You’ll be supported by a qualified solicitor from day one, with our legal experts able to advise you on whether or not you have good grounds for a successful care home negligence claim.
We take on many cases on a ‘No Win No Fee’ basis
Our expert medical negligence solicitors can discuss funding options with you further, but most of our cases are run on a ‘No Win No Fee’ basis. This is also known as a Conditional Fee Agreement, or CFA.
Contact us today
Get in touch now and find out how we can help with your case for care home negligence.
- Accident & Emergency (A&E) Compensation Claims
- Brain Injury
- Cancer Misdiagnosis Claims
- Bowel Cancer
- Cerebral Palsy Compensation Claims
- GP Negligence Compensation Claims
- Gynaecological Medical Negligence
- Medical Misdiagnosis Compensation Claims
- Medication Errors and Negligence Compensation Claims
- NHS Medical Neligence Claims
- Ophthalmic Claims
- Orthopaedic Injury
- Surgical Errors Compensation Claims