When you or a loved one enters a care home, you expect a professional standard of care. It can come as something of a shock when care received within the home falls below the standard you would expect, perhaps even dangerous — or, even worse, life-threatening.
Unfortunately, there are occasions when the care administered to elderly residents in homes is unacceptable. This can often result in significant distress, pain, and injury for the resident.
Let us help
If you feel that you have a possible claim for compensation against a care home, get in touch with us as soon as possible. We will listen carefully, take full details of what occurred, and confirm if you have a potential case for compensation.
Although it shouldn’t be the case, the level of care received in care homes throughout the UK does vary considerably. If you have had to contend with any of the following complaints, you could be owed compensation:
- Pressure sores — these can be incredibly painful and difficult to treat, and they do not always heal. Infection can set in, which can enhance the seriousness of the condition. Bed sores and ulcers should not occur if patient care to the required standard.
- Prescription errors – prescribing the wrong dosage or drug can have a major impact, especially for individuals whose health may already be compromised. In addition, administering pharmaceuticals late, or at the wrong time, can also play havoc with a patient’s health and wellbeing.
- Injuries from falls — incorrect handling, or not giving sufficient assistance to get in and out of beds or baths, can result in serious injury to a care home resident. We can handle compensation claims following falls related to any of these circumstances, including due to the incorrect use of mobility equipment.
What sorts of claims are successful?
If a claim is made due to a poor standard of care which has caused loss (whether to your physical or mental health, and finances), and this can be substantiated, there is a strong likelihood of the achieving full compensation. We’ve successfully fought claims for:
- The lack of provision of correct equipment, care, or handling
- Not providing walking aids, wheelchairs, bed frames, or adequate assistance
- Not using the correct techniques to move or lift patients
- Careless prescription or administration of medication
How can compensation help?
Once compensation is received, it can help the care home resident that has suffered loss in a number of important ways:
- Private medical treatment can be used to treat resulting conditions
- Care can be provided at home
- Help with housework and meals can be put in place
- Modifications to the home, or assistive equipment to aid your daily living
- Replacing any loss of earnings resulting from the injury sustained
If you suffered due to poor treatment or handling in a care home, then do get in touch with our highly skilled and knowledgeable compensation legal team.