One of the most frequent types of accidental damage that can be done to patients while in hospital or being cared for is nerve damage. Even small nerve injuries can have lasting effects on your body, potentially causing severe pain and disability; if you have had any damage done as a result of improper medical care, you have the right to make a claim.

Nerve injuries may occur in a number of different ways, although most commonly as a result of surgery or needle use. When Surgeons perform they have to navigate around nerve endings, and if a small mistake is made a nerve can easily be damaged, trapped or even severed. Almost any type of surgery can potentially cause nerve damage, including the removal of tumours or hernias, and knee or hip replacement surgery. It may also occur when blood is taken or injections are given, as well as with compression or certain drugs.

Nerve damage may only be temporary, or it could have a permanent and disabling effect. You are most likely to realise you have some form of damage early, as the symptoms are quite noticeable. You may notice:

  • Cold feelings
  • Burning or extreme tingling
  • A heavy feeling in arms or legs
  • Problems manipulating or holding objects, or moving feet and toes
  • Pins and needles or numbness


These sensations will sometimes go away within hours or days but in the case that they don’t, they could cause serious problems in day to day life. Debilitating pain may prevent you from being able to work, and long-term loss of sensation could lead to losing the function in that part of the body, causing considerable disabilities.

If you have suffered from any level of nerve damage you may be able to make a claim — however if you have lost earnings or now require nursing care as a direct result of a medical personnel’s mistakes or improper treatment, you will find it much easier to receive compensation. The amount that you could receive depends largely on the severity of the damage and any additional costs or loss of work, which might include

  • Loss of earnings or work
  • Hiring help for housework
  • Paying for Nurse care in the home
  • The costs of private treatment if the NHS service has a long waiting list.

As with any injuries or damage as a result of medical treatment, it’s incredibly important that you speak to a medical negligence Solicitor specifically. A personal injury Solicitor will not have the kind of credentials and experience that are necessary to proving this case and making sure you have the best possible chance of walking away with compensation.

More often than not these kinds of claims are settled before going to court, especially if the evidence is overwhelming or the Trust or Doctor have readily admitted fault. An experienced Solicitor will be able to inform you as to whether the settlement amount is appropriate — if not, you may need to progress to court.

Accident & Emergency (A&E) Compensation Claims
Cancer - Medical Negligence Compensation Claims
Death Due to Medical Negligence
GP Negligence Compensation Claims
Hospital Negligence Compensation Claims
How to Report a Negligent Doctor
Is there a time limit on medical negligence claims?
Medical Misdiagnosis Compensation Claims
bad news
Misdiagnosed of Cancer
NHS Negligence Claims
Orthopaedic Injury
Poor Medical Care
The Ultimate Guide to Medical Negligence Compensation Claims

Latest Cases

Find Been Let Down on:

Frequently asked questions

Our FAQs can give you a good overview of the things you need to know

Beenletdown is a trading name of Armstrong Solicitors Limited, a company registered in England & Wales (Company number 05770681) and an incorporated practice recognised, authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. A list of the directors is available for inspection at the below address. By using this website, you expressly agree to be bound by this disclaimer and that your use of this website is at your own risk. Clear here to view the full disclaimer.

© 2017 Been Let Down
Registered Office: 5th Floor, The Plaza,
100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9QJ.
Company Reg No. 05770681 VAT Reg No. 889964354